Located in the San Tan Valley of Arizona, Susan Smith is a professional dog trainer and behavior consultant. Sue has been active in dog training for over twenty years. In addition to her dog training business, Sue provides on-going education to professional dog trainers.
Sue works primarily with pet dogs, addressing everything from new puppy socialization to basic obedience and home manners.
Sue teaches other professionals in how animals learn and how to train, so she has a deep level of understanding of both training and behavior. She has written a book on training, produced a DVD on dog bites, as well as written many articles for her professional publications.
- Certified Dog Trainer and Behavior Counselor through SF-SPCA, 1999
- Certified Professional Dog Trainer through Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers, 2001 – expired (certified through first national exam held for dog trainers)
- Certified Dog Behavior Consultant through International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants, 2004 (founding member)
Professional Affiliations, Volunteer Work & Awards:
- 2010-2018: CCPDT Lists Moderator
- 2009: nominated for Dog Writers of America Award for “A Learning Theory Primer” (APDT Chronicle of the Dog) in category “Magazine: subject related series”
- 2009-2011: Member, International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants Application Review Committee
- June 2007-November 2008: Board Member & Vice President, Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers
- 1997-present: Professional Member, Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT)
- 2001-2007: Chair, APDT Member Relations and Communications committee
- 2004 APDT Member of the Year
- 2004-present: Certified (CDBC), Charter Member, International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC)
- 2001-2009: APDT Lists Moderator